Website: http://www.timothydavisauthor.com/

My photo
Pacifica, CA, United States
Tim Davis got into trouble at age 12 for reading Treasure Island under his blankets by flashlight when he was supposed to be sleeping. When he grew up, he pursued his love of children’s literature by earning a PhD in English and teaching Children’s Literature at university. He left academia in order to move to the San Francisco Bay Area and teach elementary school under an emergency program that let college graduates teach if they worked in the inner city. Tim Davis still lives in the Bay Area with his family, and recently began writing a series of children’s books that he hopes will get some other kids in trouble for reading under the blankets with a flashlight.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hiding in a Tree

One morning when I was ten, I climbed to the top branches of a large elm in our front yard. Lunchtime rolled around, but I decided to see what would happen if I stayed in the tree. My mom came out and called for me first. Then my dad. I watched, with a strange feeling of power. Then my folks got the neighbors looking for me. I was delighted. An hour later, the police arrived. They scribbled some notes, barked on their radio, and left. Fascinating. But by this time my scheme was starting to backfire—hunger. When my mom and dad went to search the woods by the creek, I slipped down the tree and raided the fridge. When my parents returned, they found me sleeping (fake) in my bed, terribly ill (fake). But the ruse didn’t work, and my dad told me that I could just stay in bed until breakfast! A little bit of this incident found its way into Red Stone.

1 comment:

michelle isenhoff said...

Ha! Sounds like a kid thing.

Isn't it fun to pull from personal experience and tuck it into a story somewhere? Makes the story believable as well.